In the Convent of Santa Clara-a-Nova one can visit the tomb of Queen Isabel of Aragon, the Patroness Saint of Coimbra.

It has been sculpted in 1330 by Master Pêro on a single block of limestone!

The representation of St. James, which can be found in one of the niches, as well as the pilgrim’s stick and the purse of alms, sculpted on the lying statue, witness her role of Pilgrim to Santiago de Compostela.


Opening Hours
08H30 – 19H00 (Summer)
08H30 – 18H00 ( Winter)

Alto de Santa Clara • 3040-270 Coimbra

+351 239 441 674