By 1992, “Pilot projects to conserve European architectural heritage” was applied to Praça D. Duarte which basically consists of a central zone within Viseu historical centre next to the south wing of Sé Catedral.

This square bears the name of a King D. Duarte who was born in 1391 in Viseu and whose statue was built there in 1955. Surrounded by 18th and 19th century buildings, Praça D. Duarte was the main centre of this city until the end of 19th century.